Do you Manage Volunteers?
Managing volunteers can be challenging; often equipped with very few resources, volunteer managers are often the sole person responsible for the organisation’s success in recruiting and retaining volunteers.
At Southampton Voluntary Services, we offer volunteer managers, recruiters and leaders a range of services to support the fantastic work that they do in finding and coordinating volunteers, including:
- Networking and Information opportunities – the Volunteer Coordinators’ Group
- Guidance – Best Practice for Volunteering
- Volunteer Recruitment – Online via the SVS website, as well as on social media and face to face.
- Training – Volunteer Management Training Programme
Volunteer Coordinators’ Group
The Volunteer Coordinators’ Group is a forum that offers support for anyone involved with volunteers and volunteering. Whether you’re a Volunteer Manager, managing a large team of volunteers or a volunteer yourself supporting other volunteers, this forum is for you.
Typical topics addressed include good practice, funding, recruiting, retaining, training, valuing and monitoring volunteers. This useful information exchange offers a chance to share expertise, experience and is a source of good peer support. Guest speakers regularly attend and offer training on topics essential for good management.
The Volunteer Coordinators’ Group meets quarterly at the Voluntary Action Centre.
Our monthly newsletter brings you news and updates for volunteer coordinators across Southampton. You can view the latest newsletter, as well as any previous editions by clicking on the relevant links below:
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- March/April 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
If you would like to join the group, contact the Volunteer Development Team on 02380 216020 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Best Practice for Volunteering
Southampton Voluntary Services is committed to maintaining the highest standards in volunteering. We offer support, advice and information on any aspect of best practice including the development of policies or procedures.
We have worked with Volunteer Coordinators and volunteers to set out Volunteering Charter 2014
Southampton Voluntary Services Can Promote Your Volunteering Opportunities:
- Online at www.southamptonvs.org.uk volunteering website where potential volunteers can search and apply for local volunteering opportunities.
- In-house at Volunteering Information Sessions – potential volunteers can obtain further information about becoming a volunteer, look through current opportunities and apply for them.
- Hampshire wide - SVS can pass on your opportunity details for promotion across the County if applicable.
- Outreach and Volunteer recruitment events – SVS can promote your opportunities at regular outreach and volunteer events that take place across the cities including at both universities, higher education colleges, at community events such as the Mela Festival and other SVS events in places such as West Quay and the Central Library.
- In our regular newsletters to potential volunteers across the city.
If volunteers express an interest in your opportunity SVS will contact you directly with information about the volunteer. It will then be your responsibility to contact the volunteer and give them further details about your recruitment processes. You will need to keep SVS up to date with any changes to your contact details or the volunteering role, including when the role has been filled.
Volunteer Management Training Programme
Southampton Voluntary Services offers a range of training courses, which can be taken together as the Volunteer Management Training Programme, or individually to update skillsthat you particularly need. Some of our courses are listed below.
· Developing a Volunteer Policy
· Recruiting Volunteers
· Retaining Volunteers
· Respecting Volunteers
· Support and Supervision
· Volunteers and the law
· Health & Safety
If you would like to express an interest in any of the courses please contact the Volunteering Development Team on tel: 02380 216 002 or email: email@example.com.