Southampton Healthy Living are are running a new course in October, Improving the Public’s Health targeting the wider public health workforce and accredited by the RSPH (Royal Society for Public Health).
Dates, time and duration
11 & 12 October 2017
18 & 19 October 2017
38 Hours total qualification time. 26 guided learning hours over four days within a two-week period.
This qualification is an RSPH accredited course, designed to meet the need for a radical upgrade in prevention and public health and is for people working in the wider public health workforce. The qualification provides a knowledge and understanding of the principles of health improvement and mental health and wellbeing as well as how to build relationships with clients and the local context of health and wellbeing issues and measures for addressing them. It is mapped to national occupational standards, functions of the Public Health Skills and Knowledge Framework (PHSK) and Making Every Contact Count (MECC) guidelines.
This course is for people working in the wider public health workforce who wish to engage in prevention and improve health in their communities or sector. Successful participants will be able to support individuals in behaviour change that leads to healthier lifestyles and address local issues.
Unit 1: Principles of Health Improvement
- Knowledge of health inequalities and the associated policies
- Understand how effective communication can support health messages
- Know how to promote improvements in health and wellbeing to individuals
- Understand impact of change on health and wellbeing
Unit 2: Understanding Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Understand own attitudes and beliefs around mental health and wellbeing
- Understanding of theoretical models
- Understand how mental health and wellbeing can be improved
- Identify opportunities for mental health improvement
Unit 3: Developing working relationships with clients
- Know how to develop and maintain working relationships with clients
- Know how to motivate and support clients
- Understand the role of support networks
- Carry out effective communication with clients
Unit 4: Investigate a health and wellbeing issue
- Carry out preliminary procedures to investigate a health and wellbeing issue.
- Determine an approach at local level to reduce the harmful effect of the identified health and wellbeing issue on the local population
- Present findings of the investigation in an appropriate format to an audience
Assessment will be based on a mix of short multiple question exam, learner workbooks and a portfolio all incorporated into the 38 hours.
There will be a charge of £260 per participant.