How to recruit trustees for your charities – A practical guide”
A charity that promotes board-level volunteering has produced a free to download guide to help VCSE organisations find and recruit trustees. Getting on Board’s has launched “How to recruit trustees for your charities – A practical guide” in response to research undertaken with the VCSE sector in 2017 in which:
- Around three-quarters of organisations said they found trustee recruitment difficult;
- Over half of charities had at least one vacancy on their board;
- 90 per cent of charities still found most of their trustees through word of mouth and only 10 per cent of trustee vacancies were ever advertised;
- Only 14 per cent of charities feel their trustee boards have the right skills and experience to meet future compliance and strategic challenges;
- More than half are not representative of the communities they serve.
The guide was also prompted by the Charity Commission’s research piece Taken on Trust which highlighted issues around trustee recruitment showing that levels of diversity on trustee boards are worse than those in the commercial sector; being overwhelmingly comprised of older white men. The “How to recruit trustees for your charities” guide includes checklists, template advertisements and induction packs, advice on where to advertise and case studies from charities which have used it effectively. It can be downloaded here along with their research on trustees. Further information about Getting on Board and their work can be found using this link to their website.